Monday, November 24, 2008

The Process

Nov. 22nd, 2008
8:45 pm - contractions have been close together all day but just not very intense. By this point, they are now 4 minutes apart and starting to have the intensity I remembered. Time to go to the hospital.

9:05 pm - while having a contraction in the car on the way to the hospital, I slowly tell Mark that my water is breaking. The speed in the vehicle increases and the turns become sharper :). We are almost to the main gate so I take comfort in knowing that we are almost there.

9:10 pm - check into the front desk of Labor and Delivery...they handed me a gown and I headed to the bathroom to get changed.

9:12 pm - I decide that I would like to keep my pants on while walking into my L&D monitering room...good thing I did because of the 15 people waiting to take a picture of a baby that was coming through the door any second. They would have had a nice view.

9:13 pm - nurse checked me and said I was at about a 4 or a 5..."good" I said because I wanted to have time to get the epidural in me before things got too intense...so much for that. Contractions hit an all new level immediately following this. We had to wait for our room to be ready because apparently we weren't the only ones doing the baby thing that night.

9:40-ish - I was wheeled into my L&D suite. Rooms were very nice there...didn't get to enjoy it much though as the contractions were definitely close together and definitely intense. Nurse came in and said the Anasthesiologist was finishing up a C-section and would be right in. Nice...

10:00-ish - as my nurse headed out the door I got her attention to ask one more time where I was in line for the epidural...she said 2nd, right after the lady next door to me. As I started into yet another contraction, she decided to come back in and check me again to see if any progress had been made. Her words..."girlfriend next door just got bumped, you are at an 8." Here we go again!!!

Time after this is irrelevant as I was contracting and getting poked and prodded. The epidural provided amazing relief...for now. To make this long story short, I pushed for a bit once we reached the 10 but Bodee was being feisty and his stats would drop each time. They wanted to let him descend on his own for a bit (fun times for me since I learned that drugs help with nerve pain but not "pressure pain.") Around 12:15am we started pushing again. Bodee was born at 1:20am and it was a good thing...a C-section was starting to sound really good!

No comments: